Pocket Change: Creating Change through Small Creative Acts
A 6 Degrees of Creativity Artist Trading Card Exchange
6 Degrees of Creativity is very excited to be hosting this collaborative project focusing on the power of creating change through making something small (in the form of artist trading cards) and through engaging in simple acts of creative kindness.
This exchange was inspired by community members involved with 6 Degrees of Creativity 2 workshops who suggested having an ATC exchange a few months ago. Myself, Mindful Studio Practice Instructor Hannah Klaus Hunter, and 6 Degrees of Creativity 2 Community Member Beth Rommel then came together to co-create & organize this project. We hope this swap helps create new connections, inspires positive energy, and creates a good reason to make & receive some art in this New Year!
- Participants will create 4 ATCs and will get back 3 from others who are participating in the exchange. Our swap’s theme: Pocket Change is all about how simple and small acts can create and instill kindness, gratitude, and change. For your ATCs, think about the power of your mini artworks as a means to express and share a positive image, message, or intention with others and the world.
- The fourth ATC will be kept by the host organizers for coordinating the exchange. These ATCs may be posted on the 6 Degrees of Creativity Facebook Page or this blog to showcase the project and help spread the project’s good vibes. We are also thinking about creating a fun, free eZine about the Pocket Change theme, stories, and ATCs the project received to keep sharing the love!
Mailing & Postage
- Participants will mail their 4 ATC’s by January 30, 2013. If you live in the US, please send a SASE with your ATCs. Please note that without a SASE, you cannot receive ATCs back. Late ATCs will not be accepted for exchange and will be returned. We will start mailing back exchanged ATCs to everyone at the end of February.
- If you live outside of the US, instead of including postage, please just include some extra fun collage stuff inside a self addressed envelope to cover this cost!
About ATCs & Guidelines for Exchange
- The dimensions of your ATCs should be 2.5″ x 3.5″, or 64 x 89mm. Tips, examples, techniques, and more can be found via this ATC how-to page.
- On the back of each ATC please include: your name, contact information (i.e. website/blog/e-mail address) that you are comfortable sharing with other swap participants.
- ATCs should be sturdy enough to travel through the mail. Wax paper or plastic sleeves should be used between your ATCs if they might stick together because of medium such as Mod Podge. To make mailing easy, please keep your ATCs to two dimensional materials.
Spreading Creative Kindness!
- In addition to the ATC exchange, we also encourage you to spread more creative kindness through making Pocket Change ATCs for others (friends, family, neighbors, co-workers, colleagues, randomly leaving them in places for strangers, etc.). Feel free to share with us how you used this act to keep the Pocket Change process going!
- Deadline to sign up for this exchange is January 15. This exchange is open to art therapists, art therapy students, creatives, and artists who wants to make some creative goodness with us! E-mail email@example.com to sign up and to receive the project’s mailing address for your ATCs or if you have any questions. You can also send Pocket Change Acts of Creative Kindness stories to this e-mail as well. Please don’t sign up for this exchange unless you can make the commitment to follow through by January 30.
I hope you will consider joining us for this special project-We look forward to exchanging lots of creative goodness with you!